The program has many advantages:
- to issue passports you do not need to be present on the islands personally;
- there are no requirements for a long-lasting uninterrupted stay in the country ‒ for the first five years of citizenship, the investor is obliged to spend five consecutive days here only;
- the shortest terms of realization ‒ it takes 3-4 months from the execution of real estate agreements to the issuance of a document;
- along with the applicant, citizenship can be obtained by members of his/her family (subject to payment of fees for them) ‒ these can be spouses, children (underage), parents over 65 years old, children 18-25 years old fully dependent on the investor;
- high level of confidentiality of the application submission and review process;
- the ability to travel without a visa to more than 130 countries. Among them are the United Kingdom, Ireland, European States, and even Canada, which has not concluded such an agreement with any Caribbean country other than this jurisdiction.
You can enjoy the advantages of the program by choosing one of the options foreseen by law:
- Investment in local real estate. The amount of investment for one applicant shall be at least USD 400,000. It is also necessary to pay an administrative fee, which in the case of one applicant and his/her family members up to 4 persons inclusive shall be USD 30,000, and in the case of 5 or more family members – extra USD 15,000 for each additional family member. This option may require, for instance, the involvement of a developer who approves the project as well as the amount of the proposed investment. The entire purchase of a real estate for the purpose of obtaining a Antigua and Barbuda passport for investment is also possible by several persons jointly.
- An investment in the National Development Fund in the amount of USD 100,000 at least. At the same time, it is also necessary to pay an administrative fee in the amount of USD 30,000 for a family consisting of 4 or less persons. If the applicant’s family consists of more than 5 persons, the amount of the mandatory contribution shall be increased to USD 125,000, and the amount of the administrative fee shall be increased to USD 15,000 for each additional family member, starting from the fifth (over the base USD 30,000). Money from the National Development Fund is directed to non-profit organizations that deal with the issues of health, environment, education, youth development, and other approved activities.
- Investment in approved business projects. In this case, the amount of investment depends on the number of applicants who realize a business project:
- for investment by one applicant – USD 1,500,000 at least;
- for two or more persons, the amount of joint investment must be USD 5,000,000 at least, while the amount of investment for each applicant must be USD 400,000 at least.
Submission of documents and interaction with state authorities on issues of obtaining citizenship on the basis of investment is carried out by an authorized agent only. Such an agent shall have a license and be a resident of Antigua and Barbuda.
There are several criteria for an applicant to get a passport in Antigua and Barbuda:
- not older than 30 years;
- have an offer for making investment;
- meet the program requirements.
To become a member of the program, it is enough to fulfill several conditions:
- choose one of the investment options (for instance, invest in a object approved by the government USD 400,000 at least);
- pay fees;
- pay legal, professional services, escrow ‒ USD 20,000-25,000;
- have immaculate personal and business recommendations, positive law enforcement reports (identity verification may cost USD 7,000-8,000);
- provide evidence of a sound financial position;
- execute medical certificates.
Among the documents that have to be submitted for consideration:
- application in the established form;
- documents confirming an irrevocable deposit in the amount of the amount required to cover the expenditures related to all registration procedures as well as 10% of the amounts of all fees that shall be payable;
- a certificate from a licensed medical specialist that confirms the applicant’s good health;
- a document from the police confirming the absence of problems with the law.
The information that shall be submitted for consideration, among other things, includes:
- applicant’s name;
- date and place of birth;
- marital status;
- passport data (for all passports);
- social security number;
- contact details;
- information about employment and doing business;
- information on income and banking information;
- data about family members (father, mother, siblings, spouse, children);
- list of addresses where the applicant has lived during the last 10 years;
- information about education;
- data on employment experience for the last 10 years.
In addition, answers to mandatory questions shall be provided, including questions on:
- arrests, detention, sentencing;
- accusation in carrying out illegal activities;
- direct or indirect involvement in terrorism financing;
- involvement in bankruptcy cases either personally or as a director;
- refusal to issue a visa or obtain permanent residence in any country;
- refusal to grant citizenship in any country;
- being in the status of a politically exposed person;
- financial status;
- proper tax obligations fulfillment.
The procedure of obtaining Antigua and Barbuda citizenship by investment covers several stages:
- Collection of information and forming a package of documents for submission and consideration. The duration of this stage depends on the speed of collecting and providing the necessary information from the applicant’s side.
- Payment of expenses and duties foreseen by law.
- Submission of documents for consideration.
- Making a decision on the issuance/refusal to issue a passport.
- Realization of the selected investment option.
- Passport issuance.
Depending on the concrete specific case, the applicant(s) may need to visit the country personally to conduct an interview.
There are only a few grounds for refusal in obtaining citizenship:
- non-compliance with program requirements;
- submission of false information or submission of incomplete information about the applicant(s).
Investing in tourist hotel real estate – citizenship in the shortest possible time
The government authorities leave the issuance of passports at their own discretion – in order not to face rejection, you should invest in reliable, approved legal estate. Antigua and Barbuda is a prestigious and one of the most popular Caribbean resorts. The local tourism industry is developing rapidly thanks to a widespread investment platform. In particular, the Tamarind Hills Resort is under construction. It functions partially – many villas, hosts, and guests. The developer, who has 40 years of experience in possessions in the Caribbean and Mexico resorts, offers investors the to contribute to a hotel complex on a beach protected by a government with a flexible rental policy.
Having invested starting from USD 450,000, the applicant receives an object that is allowed to be sold after five years of possession. There are no property payments during this period (this covers the absence of dividends for the period). The amount includes state duty and property tax, the purchaser is entitled to use the resort for two weeks a year. The real estate in the main complex – Kingfish cottages – is transferred to investors in full ownership. The process of purchase and the following obtainment of citizenship goes through several stages:
- conclusion of the agreement of intent;
- to secure the reservation, a deposit to Tamarind Hills shall be transferred;
- the application shall be filled and the necessary package of documents shall be issued for each recipient;
- government verification and 10% of government fees shall be paid;
- after the government approval all remaining amounts shall be paid;
- a certificate of naturalization is issued;
- an application for obtaining passports shall be issued with the certificate;
- documents confirming citizenship shall be transferred to the investor.