Madeira is a well-known Portuguese commercial and financial center, one of the two autonomous locations in Portugal. This jurisdiction engages many international entrepreneurs worldwide who are seeking (1) flexibility while doing business and (2) advantageous tax regimes. At the same, this jurisdiction is trustworthy and adds credits to any international business. Company incorporation in Funchal, for instance, may open instant access to a number of local benefits.
Advantages of the Jurisdiction
If you treat the option of company incorporation in Madeira, this commercial solution may turn out to be an advantageous one due to the subsequent local nuances:
- strategic EU location;
- free trade zone;
- stable political and economical situation;
- steady tendency of high economic growth;
- low transactional costs;
- clear and flexible conditions of doing business;
- low tax burden;
- well-rounded local infrastructure.
Legal and Organizational Forms Available in Madeira
- Limited liability company (LDA) – this is the most widespread type of corporate entity that is usually chosen by international entrepreneurs. Under these terms, their legal and financial obligations are reduced to their contributions exclusively. Formally, there are no compulsory demands for the starting share capital of an LDA. But, at a minimum, a basic share capital of EUR 1,000 is expected to establish this corporate entity. Even 1 shareholder can incorporate this form. Such a shareholder can be of any residency.
- Joint-stock company (SA) – this is a more compound business structure feasible for medium or large enterprises. As in the case of LTD (LDA), the financial and legal obligations of each shareholder are reduced to the sums contributed to this corporate entity (the value of shares they possess). A minimum of 5 shareholders are needed to establish this legal person, of any residency. A minimal starting capital of EUR 50,000 is expected for that purpose. The shares of SA may freely circulate between third parties. Upon the fulfillment of specific legal formalities, this corporate entity may also offer its shares publicly on a stock exchange.
- Branch – this is a form feasible for a non-resident company that wishes to enter this jurisdiction at minimal transactional costs. Establishing a branch will require passing a simplified registration procedure with no minimal capital needed. A branch is usually established to enter into contracts with local partners and issue invoices to receive payments from local customers in a more easy way. Typically, the same types of economic activities as abroad will be carried out in Madeira. 100% liability for the outcomes of its branch operations will be imposed on a mother company solely.
- Representative office – this suggestion will be also feasible for a non-resident company with an aim to handle marketing and promotional research in Madeira. Passing a simplified registration procedure is needed in this case too. No starting capital is needed here, as in the case with a branch. 100% liability for the results that a representative office demonstrates will be imposed on its mother company only. The single nuance, in this case, is that the representative office will not be eligible for doing business in Madeira.
How to Establish a Company in Madeira
If you wish to set up a company in Madeira, this decision may be brought into practice after passing these suggested steps:
- Creating the list of commercial activities that an upcoming company will be going to carry out after incorporation.
- Elaborating on and reserving a distinct commercial name.
- Selecting the details about shareholders, beneficiaries, and managers of an upcoming company.
- Finding and formalizing an official legal address for a future company.
- Composing and formalizing appropriately all the statutory documents and application forms for a new entity.
- Submitting the set of registration documents to the National Registry of Legal Persons. Receiving the Certificate of Incorporation for a newly-formed company in Madeira and creating the respective entry in the Register (in the case of a positive decision).
- Registration for tax and social security purposes.
- Opening corporate bank accounts.
- Applying for and formalizing licenses and special permits (may be necessary for specific types of economic activities).
Legal, Regulatory, and Tax Framework
The legislation in Madeira is 100% based on European standards. It offers the entire flexibility of doing business and advantageous incorporation terms for all non-resident investors (from the points of associated costs as well). Non-resident entrepreneurs enjoy equal rights for doing business as the locals. Firm incorporation in Madeira is a quite simple and straightforward procedure that can be completed even remotely. There are no overwhelming bureaucratic formalities to observe in this case. Prifinance attorneys possess the expertise in preparing the documents needed in line with all formal demands correctly.
Speaking about taxes, it should be noted that the local tax framework is highly advantageous. The corporate tax rate of 5% is applied in Madeira provided that specific substance requirements are fulfilled (among others, regarding the amount of investments and hiring local employees). Otherwise, a standard profit tax rate of 14.7% will be applied. At the same time, it should be noted that non-residents are eligible to transmit their dividends without being taxed.
How Prifinance Attorneys May Assist You
If you wish to register or buy a company in Madeira, Prifinance experts are prepared to facilitate this effort, among others, by rendering these legal services:
- assessing the business case and objectives you have on your agenda with the next elaboration of a personalized registration plan;
- requesting, drafting, and executing all the required documents for a new company in Madeira;
- handling all the negotiations with the local officials;
- opening bank accounts for a new entity;
- providing comprehensive support for the further business activity.
We offer prompt company registration and bank account opening services in Madeira and worldwide. New registration and ready-made options. Call the Prifinance Company: ☎ +372-602-65-11: 24/7 customer support.