Locals of these tropical corners enjoy the preferences provided by the membership in the association; that explains the significant interest in the opportunity of obtaining a residence permit and Saint Kitts and Nevis citizenship by investment.
The islands are known for their open policy with regard to those who wish to legalize in this jurisdiction. In 2015, 2016, the countdown of the fourth decade had started from the moment of the adoption of the State Program for the simplified registration of a residence permit/economic citizenship that opens lots of ways for naturalization. At the same time, the big plus is that the country does not prevent dual citizenship: having Saint Kitts and Nevis passports, you can simultaneously save previous legal relations. Legal status provides a large number of advantages:
- the right to simplified/visa-free entry to more than 130 countries of the world – among them the United Kingdom and Canada (you can stay visa-free for up to six months in a row), the Western European mainland area, the USA (a visa is issued for ten years), Singapore, etc.;
- there is no need to stay within the state for any period (residence permit will not be canceled);
- confidentiality of transactions ‒ the state does not disclose data about the persons who have referred to it;
- the right to apply for naturalization status for the entire family at once, including elderly parents;
- the opportunity to live permanently or temporarily on an island with excellent temperature and natural conditions, a developed service sector, friendly and welcoming locals (crime is practically at a zero level here);
- the impartiality of the international community to the country’s documents, the absence of undesirable associations and potential problems ‒ a residence permit in this country allows you to become a true “citizen of the world”;
- financial security of savings and funds: the law of the islands does not levy taxes on the activities and property outside Saint Kitts and Nevis, other benefits (freedom from the tax burden of inheritance, income, social security, etc.);
- the cheapness of living and acquisitions: the islands have a very low level of prices for residential/commercial real estate, a list of basic products/services, etc.;
- dual citizenship is allowed – there is no need to refuse from the first citizenship in order to obtain a second one in Saint Kitts and Nevis;
- low costs for the procedure of obtaining citizenship through investments in the jurisdiction as well as the fast passage of the procedure.
Methods of Naturalization
Resident status is often granted without the right to work, according to a simplified scheme. Before you get a residence permit in Saint Kitts and Nevis, you will need to acquire an object of immovable property or land for its construction, a share in a hotel in the amount of at least USD 200,000. This procedure shall be accompanied by obtaining a license for purchase: you need to fill out questionnaires, provide data and identity certificates, pay duty fees. Those who have been permanently present on the islands for seven years can count on permanent resident status. Pensioners are allowed to use a simplified scheme. Expert consultants from Prifinance are ready to clarify all these nuances to clients.
However, there is another, more complete way of naturalization on the islands. We are speaking about economic citizenship ‒ it differs from the traditional one only in the inability to vote. The costs and actions required to obtain it are close to the procedures for a residence permit, but this status gives much more opportunities: the children of the applicants will inherit it and automatically become citizens of the community of former British possessions; there is no need to wait 14 years (as in the case of the standard procedure), there is no need to obtain a license to buy housing, and so on. Business activities will be carried out in a favorable, non-aggressive offshore environment, and all family members of the applicant-investor will obtain the status together with him/her (including parents).
Permanent Status through Economic Mechanisms
For persons wishing to apply for St Kitts and Nevis citizenship by investment, this option means substantial material investments. Those who are ready to provide non-refundable contributions to the state (in the Sustainable Growth Fund) can follow this path of legalization in the amount of:
- for the only applicant – USD 150,000 of non-refundable contribution;
- per family: 4 persons ‒ USD 195,000 (in fact, it is necessary to pay USD 150,000 taking into account the current discount of USD 45,000 provided by the government in view of the pandemic);
- for additional adult dependents and family members above the specified amount – USD 10,000.
This method allows you to naturalize as soon as possible, but you will not be able to return the investment. For those who prefer classic investing, a tourist-oriented program will be appropriate –investing at least USD 400,000 in the construction of resorts and real estate approved by the Federation. It will be possible to return such funds after five years while all rights and status will remain with the seller. The second investment option is USD 200 000 with a return period of 7 years. You can return part of the funds by renting out the purchased object. The contribution does not have to be the only one: you can participate in a share purchase – that is quite widespread.
An applicant applying for such status shall not have criminal records, it is necessary to enlist the surety of both lawyers and banking structures. It is also necessary to pay for the services of licensed identity verification agents and provide the following documentation:
- application form with six photos;
- a medical certificate and a document concerning the HIV tests;
- copies and extracts from a foreign passport, birth certificate, marriage certificate with notarization and translations;
- apostilled certificate on the absence of criminal records;
- confirmation of financial and investment solvency (Reference Letter and statements of deposit accounts, translated and notarized);
- for investors – letters to the minister (with a petition, about the sources of funds, about the authenticity of details) and the inspector to involve authorized agents.
It is possible to apply online through authorized agents.
The latest innovation was the possibility of including brothers and sisters for citizenship provided that they are:
- not older than 30 years;
- financially independent;
- they are not married and have no children.
The procedure for reviewing an application to get a passport in Saint Kitts and Neviscovers the next stages:
- Collection of necessary information and documents. The duration of this stage depends on the speed of collecting and providing information and documents to the agent by the applicant and his family members.
- Submission of the application and related documents.
- Providing a response about the application approval/rejection (within 3 months).
- Implementation of the chosen investment option in case of the application approval.
- Passport issuance.
During the application process, you must provide, among others, the following information:
- applicant’s name;
- date and place of birth;
- citizenship by birth and at the time of application;
- passport details (concerning all passports);
- social security number;
- contact information;
- permanent residence address;
information on the type of occupation;
- details about the most important companies and business partners with whom the applicant carries out business;
- details about the composition of the family as well as personal data of family members (mother, father, brothers, sisters, children);
- residential addresses for the last 10 years;
- information on education;
- details about professional experience;
- information on military service.
To register a passport in Saint Kitts and Nevis, the applicant must also answer the following questions whether he/she:
- has been under the prosecution of any kind in any country, has he been arrested;
- has ever been under investigation;
was directly or indirectly involved in terrorism financing;
- has ever been involved in activities related to drug trafficking;
- has ever been involved in bankruptcy or liquidation proceedings due to financial insolvency either personally or as a director of a bankrupt company or a company that was liquidated;
- has ever been deported from any country;
- has obtained a refusal on visa issuance;
- has ever applied for citizenship in another jurisdiction where he got a refusal.
It is important to provide complete and accurate information to all questions listed above. It is also necessary to confirm in writing that the funds invested were obtained legally.
It should also be noted the restrictions for persons from certain jurisdictions. Citizens of Iran, Afghanistan, Cuba, and North Korea are not eligible to apply.
Citizens from other jurisdictions are free to apply for getting a passport in St Kitts and Nevis. Also, if desired, you can speed up the process of obtaining it by paying additional fees. The accelerated application review procedure may cost the applicant an additional USD 25 000 as well as an additional USD 20 000 for each dependent. With this option for the application, the duration of the procedure is usually 45 days.
Those who are considering how to obtain a residence permit in Saint Kitts and Nevis should contact the Prifinance Consulting Company. Our professionals have considerable experience in implementing the appropriate paperwork, accurately imagining the stages of procedures and being skilled at getting passed them, and are aware of the nuances of interaction with official and registering authorities. We are fully prepared to consult our customers in detail, develop a naturalization strategic plan with them, and facilitate billing formalization, fee payment, and other actions.