Monaco is one of the most prestigious and status world jurisdictions, and a huge number of people seek to live and work here. The Mediterranean climate, picturesque nature, the highest economic and social level, and a sparing tax policy make the principality very attractive for businessmen. If you are among the interested businessmen who intend to start doing business in this jurisdiction, establishing your business presence here is possible in one of these registration forms.
Major Forms of Legal and Business Presence
If you intend to incorporate a company in Monaco or start doing business here in any other way, the following registration options are available to you:
- Limited Liability Company (SARL) – a legal person that may be established by two or more individuals who bear the limited liability for the outcomes of the entity’s operation – within the amounts of funds contributed. Shareholders may be natural or legal persons. The minimum required chartered capital for this entity is EUR 15,000 which must be paid up at the moment of registration.
- Joint-stock Company (SAM) – a popular form for which commercial, insurance, and financial activities are allowed, the number of founders starts from two, and the minimum capital is EUR 150,000 that must be fully paid up. Certain types of regulated activities, like insurance, may require a higher amount of chartered capital. The liabilities of shareholders are restricted to the amounts contributed to such a company only. Contributions can be made in cash or in kind. This entity is governed by the Board of Directors. Such directors may be natural or legal persons.
- General Partnership (SNC) – members shall conduct commercial activities only and have unlimited liability over the results of the partnership’s operation. There are no minimum capital requirements, it is distributed among partners according to the agreement between them. Minimum two members are required without limiting the maximum number of such shareholders.
- Limited Partnership (SCS) – a form of doing business that can be established and run by two persons at least: (i) active partners – they are jointly and severally liable for the results of the entity’s operation and has a status of traders, and (ii) limited partners – they are not liable for the results of the partnership’s operation and bear liability within the limits of their contributions only; such partners are not considered to be traders. The legislation of Monaco doesn’t stipulate the minimum amount of chartered capital for this company. The management is vested after active partners.
- Branch – a foreign company may establish and run in Monaco commercial activities the same as abroad. The liability for the results of such commercial endeavors is unlimited. One director is required for the branch of a foreign company in Monaco.
Registration Requirements and Steps
Company formation in Monaco requires passing the following approximate registration steps:
- Clarifying your business goals and objectives you intend to realize through the local enterprise.
- Choosing and checking a business name for a future enterprise in Monaco.
- Collecting details about the company's founders and beneficiaries.
- Hiring a local director – this should be an individual from the principality. It is also necessary to determine the composition of the Board of Directors if you intend to establish such, the responsibility of assigned managers.
- Opening an account with a local bank to deposit the required amount of chartered capital on the account and confirm the fact by a notary. Later, it will be necessary to confirm the capital with a bank certificate while submitting documents for the registration.
- Taking care of the availability of a real office - this is carefully checked by the authorities, and you cannot change it, otherwise, you will have to re-register the enterprise.
- Drafting and assuring all the constituent documents from the local attorney.
- Paying tax on the authorized capital (1%) at the time of business registration.
- Submitting the charter, constituent documentation, and registration forms to the registrar for approval and subsequent registration if the package is compliant with the provisions of the legislation. If the procedure of opening a company in Monaco was successful, the founders receive an official certificate, which the notary assures.
- Registration for tax and social security purposes.
- Publishing information about the new business in the Journal de Monaco.
- Obtaining licenses and permits for regulated types of activities.
Legal and Regulatory Framework
In the country there are strict criteria for "entry" – in order to register a company in Monaco, it is necessary to obtain the approval of the authorities and agree on the type of activity in government bodies. Only if you could prove that your business will benefit the country's economy, the company will be allowed to open, so professional support when opening companies in the principality is appropriate, as nowhere else. Another example of important legal formality that should be fulfilled is the provision of annual statements from the balance sheet, a profit/loss account performing an audit, and store copies of financial statements in the company. Prifinance lawyers will help to fulfill all formalities and obtain the necessary permits.
Tax System of Monaco
Company registration in Monaco may be a good choice for doing your business if take into account the following tax highlights associated with the jurisdiction:
- Corporate income tax rates – (i) 26,5% – for the financial year starting from January 1, 2021, and (ii) 25% – for the financial year starting from January 1, 2022
- Personal income tax rate – residents of Monaco are exempted from taxation, but in the cases with non-residents laws of other states shall be applied
- Value-added tax rates – (i) standard – 20%, (ii) reduced – 10%/5.5%
- Withholding tax rates – not applicable (N/A)
- Capital gains tax rates – N/A.
Advantages of the Jurisdiction
Opening a company in Monaco is the key to many opportunities, including residence permits for the founder and his family. Among the advantages of jurisdiction these ones should be mentioned in the first turn:
- High degree of business reliability – Monaco is a European financial center, and banks provide confidentiality to customers.
- An attractive fiscal policy – for the first two years the business will be exempted from taxes, although in general, the rate is 31%, while it can be said that Monaco is offshore.
- Absence of taxes on real estate, inheritance, property, and profits (if the turnover outside the country does not exceed a quarter of all).
- Many benefits for people permanently residing in the Principality and so on.
How Prifinance Specialists May Help You
We offer prompt company registration and bank account opening services in Monaco and worldwide. New registration and ready-made options. Provide extensive details for more precise consultations and suggestions that can be effective for your future project.